At roster playgroups, parents take turns to be at playgroup to supervise the session while other parents are absent.
Roster playgroups can be led by parents or by a leader.
A roster playgroup must:
- be organised by the parents
- meet for only a few hours a week
- always have some parents present
- be non commercial
- be registered with Playgroup Victoria and meet guildelines
- be an incorporated association or auspiced by an incorporated body
- have a comprehensive insurance policy
- maintain a ratio of children to adults that does not exceed 4:1
- cater for children aged two as at 30 June
- be no more than 21 children, including siblings.
On 25 May 2009 amendments to the Children’s Services Act 1996 and the new Children’s Services Regulations 2009 (Regulations) commenced and now specifically excludes roster playgroups registered with Playgroup Victoria from the provisions of the Act. This means that roster playgroups are not required to obtain a licence, and they are not regulated by the Victorian Government if they register with Playgroup Victoria.
For more information about starting, joining or running a roster playgroup call Playgroup Victoria on 1800 171 882.