FaHCSIA Supported Playgroup Program
The Supported Playgroup Progam is national and funded by the Australian Government as part of the Expansion of Playgroups initiative.
About these supported playgroups
These playgroups are facilitated by a supported playgroup development worker, usually meet once a week for two hours and provide parents and children who would not normally access a playgroup opportunities to:
- enhance their relationship in a supportive environment
- increase their skills and confidence
- develop valuable social and family support networks
- empower families to support young children's development through a variety of developmentally appropriate play experiences and activities.
Playgroup Victoria's role
Playgroup Victoria will establish 14 supported playgroups across Victoria in 2008 and 2009 in partnership with local service providers.
- Families from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Indigenous families
- Families with mental health or disability issues ( parent or child)
- Teenage and young parent families
- Families who are socially isolated or disadvantaged
- Grandparent carers
Supported Playgroup Development Worker role
- Works with families attending the playgroup for 3-12 months to help them develop skills to participate in and run the playgroup independently
- Focusses on working with parents and caregivers to develop both their individual strengths and collective capacity as a connected and supportive community
For more information
Supported playgroups brochure.
Contact Isabella, telephone 1800 171 882 ext 103 email Isabella@playgroup.org.au.